Friday, January 2, 2009

The Light Presence in our Relationships

Unaccustomed to stress at this time of year, I can’t help but occasionally wonder why I ever got discontented with the burdens of modern life. I mean, did the stresses ever happen or did I just behave inappropriately because I could? Adult “me” says the former is correct; the stresses did happen, but I also added my burdens to others who were probably also sufficiently burdened already.

There is nothing quite like having friends, associates and colleagues who add no burden. They have a light, breezy presence about them and ‘Kindness’ could be their middle name--note the capital “K”. Do you know someone like this?

I do. I know a few people like this, but unfortunately they too are human and they too add their stresses to the burdens of others occasionally--it’s human nature.

There is a person, however, someone very real, who can carry and bear all our burdens, and he never adds to our burdens. His name is Jesus. He says:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” –Matthew 11:28-30 (TNIV).

Jesus reverses the flow of stress; instead of getting stressed we get relieved--and then we’re able to relieve others’ stresses. That’s the Christian paradigm and methodology.

Paul talks about this fact that God comforts us “so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” –2 Corinthians 1:4 (TNIV).

When we learn from Christ the rest he promises we finally have the ability to lighten burdens in his Name.

The hope we have in Christ is that day-by-day we’re becoming more consistently gentle, kind and humble so we don’t add to others burdens, and that in fact, we might absorb others’ stresses and reflect the ‘yoke’ of Jesus.

Now, that’s grace!

Copyright © 2009, S. J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

No comments: