Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Great Time Grab

I’m sure we’re all guilty of it; the great time grab where we pinch time from one area of life to spend it on another. One of my favourites is putting off my working clothes ironing for more of what I love to do, writing. But there’s a limit to how much time we can grab.

Time grabbing’s also about a seeking of time so we can achieve more; plainly put, I find myself occasionally with too many good things to do than I have time for. Some things have to give, obviously.

But, there are also times when I manage to do all the things I wanted and I get to achieve great relational results to boot! These times are inspiring and I feel full of drive and energy to do even more. But, alas, it doesn’t always work out so cleanly.

At the end of the time grab journey we have to acknowledge the carriage of time only allows for a certain few, worthy activities and a certain few, quality relationships. We can’t do many things well or manage a whole bunch of relationships properly without the commensurate time invested.

There comes a time when we have to accept our limits, beyond the maximisation of our capacities and grown time-management skills.

Acceptance is such a key tenet of life that provokes peace and a life of harmony and joy beyond our ordinary circumstances.

It’s good not to be hood-winked into ‘not having enough time.’ We all have plenty of time, or at least the same amount. Complaints around lack of time (and I’ve been just as guilty of this as anyone) are nonsensical.

Grabbing time can be done skilfully but without a lot of practice--contingent on the surrender of acceptance--we can actually fall for selfishly demanding time for ourselves and our own needs, devoid of the life we must invariably live for others.

Copyright © 2009, S. J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: