Friday, June 5, 2009

“I was wrong” -- Paradoxically, the Sentence of Leadership Transformation

I attended a meeting recently where my personal dominion (yes, we all have one) was distinctly under threat, and I reacted accordingly, though upon reflection, inappropriately. The following day I then set out to make amends. In not so many words I thanked the chair of this meeting and made a concession. What I was really saying was, “I was wrong.”

After making the necessary adjustments, according to my pride, I take pleasure in being wrong. This is not to the dismay of those who know me; on the contrary, I see people freer and more trusting of me as a result.

This is an entirely biblical wisdom construct whereby faith and trust are fostered in equal amounts in the presence of humility--or the ability to say, ‘I was wrong.’

I’m not big-noting myself here (though some are to be forgiven for thinking so). I’ve made notable errors in judgment, and these, at times, very recently. It’s not that I want to be known for error, poor judgment or failure, but I do want to be known as a fair judge of myself in the sight of God--no matter what.

My errors have come professionally and personally, and they’ve impacted both my work and my family--none of these have been earth-shattering in their significance… in fact, what errors ever are? Really.

And the real key to making errors right is saying, “I am wrong,” and as Rosabeth Moss Kanter says, “If a leader cannot admit being wrong in a timely fashion, he or she can never correct mistakes, change direction, and restore success.”[1]

Replace the noun ‘leader’ as referred above, and replace it with ‘person,’ and we have a biblical principle that fits every single one of us.

If a person cannot admit being wrong in a timely fashion, he or she can never correct mistakes, change direction, and restore success [to their lives].
s
Love seeks to make the wrong right by saying, “I was wrong.”

Copyright © 2009, S. J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

[1] Rosabeth Moss Kanter, The Change Master Blog (Harvard Business Publishing, May 7, 2009). Retrieved June 5, 2009. http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/kanter/2009/05/three-little-words-every-leade.html

No comments: