Monday, June 1, 2020

A benediction of Psalm 139 for comfort and peace

As the flood of fatigue folds in and over you from the chaos of current affairs, I pray this might meet you in a quiet place within yourself, just as Jesus would often go and find that quiet place of refuge to be with the Father away from his noisy world.  The George Floyd murder and the protests that have a followed seem to be the first major issue that has consumed us other than Covid-19 since Covid-19 began filling our news feeds.  Dealing with the pain of these events is a big issue for many I know.  Especially when we feel passionate about injustice, we need to be especially careful to care for ourselves.  So now this:
From within the deep reaches of the uncharted word of God, plumbing its depths, going deep into its eternal wisdom, there is the bliss of truth to be found.  True discovery for oneself.  If only one can get sufficiently away from this world to receive this respite from God.
Let’s channel David for one moment.  Psalm 139 version of David.  Open your Bible there and follow through the verses with me.  David is KNOWN by God.  Such a fact cannot be disputed.  How much does God know you?
The searching nature of God is palpably real for David.  How can this God of all creation not know where we are, or what we’re thinking, or doing?  How is it possible then that we are not known by God?
Somehow the dual realities of God’s bounding our lives, yet God’s unreachability are factual at one and the same time.  We cannot get away from God, yet we cannot touch God.  How do we live in acceptance of this?
No matter where we go we cannot escape the notice of God and indeed the power of God in and through our lives, whether we are for God or against God.  How do we live in acceptance of this?
At some point we discover that God is not just following us like a stalker, but has the very best in mind for us.  Shall we pray that we would come to accept this?
And though we may hide like David did, God will most certainly find us, because we can never be hidden from God’s sight or presence.  How can we begin to accept this glorious fact and not be so fearful of it?
Then we come to those most cherished verses.  What?  God created me, and knew me before I was known?  Do you mean everything I am and all that I have done is known to God, yet this God of my creation cannot unlove me?  How can this possibly be?  Surely even as I hate some of the things I’ve done myself God would turn and reject me.  Surely?  But, no!  God knew my days and yours and how they would be, and how you and I would turn against God?  Who knew?  God knew.  God has always known?  Yet God loves us.  How can this be?
~
If this is so, you are utterly beyond comprehension, God!  Suddenly I can see that you are for me and never against me even as I am occasionally against myself.  Surely God, you are against the wicked in their schemes.  But know me also in my schemes, Lord!  But then I am reminded instantly that you do know, so would you show me so I could turn back to you?  For I will.  Lead me in your ways of peace always, my Lord my God.


Photo by Colton Duke on Unsplash

No comments: