Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Interlude That Changed My Life

Did you ever have a time when you felt like such an absolute failure? I did. Five years ago, I was really struggling--everything I did seemed to be going wrong. The reason for this was my most important relationships, those of my family, were in tatters.

I couldn’t focus, was depressed, and incredibly anxious and fearful about the future.

One particular Saturday morning I was so distraught, walking around home sobbing tears--I was at breaking point! By sheer chance, I switched the television on and there was a TV evangelist who preached how someone could be forgiven… all I had to do was simply pray to Jesus.

I had reached what you could call ‘my rock bottom’ moment in life; I acknowledged it and had to change. I immediately got down on my knees and prayed the prayer that the TV evangelist suggested--straight after him.

You have to know, I had actively believed in God, but I hadn’t actually handed my life over to Jesus, asking him to be the Lord of my life--that I accepted his free gift of forgiveness and peace with God. My limited submission meant I had limited faith.

Praying directly to Jesus in this way proved a real turning point for me.

It is hard to explain but as soon as I finished the prayer I felt a strange peace or assurance come over me; a sort of confidence that I had done something right and this relieved the pressure and pain I was feeling so intensely.

My life after that moment was still far from perfect, and I still had a lot of grief and pain to deal with, BUT there was one real difference:

I had a solid relationship with Jesus whom I could call on at any time; I knew someone who identified with my pain, indeed I knew someone who had endured so much more pain than any human ever has or ever will.

He not only knows my pain, but he knows yours as well.

No comments: