Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happiness Lies In Your Own Hand

“Circumstance has no power over you. Your inner weather is always and forever at your command.”
s
-Olga Rosmanith.
s
Madonna, one would think, would not have too many top-charting gospel songs, notwithstanding her alleged Roman Catholic faith. But as I listened to her song “Secret” just recently I developed the notion that it was very much gospel-related. Perhaps it was the fact that in her video[1] she had vision of various baptisms taking place -- a traditional Christian motif of death to the old life lived apart from God, and new birth into the spiritual life with him.
s
But it was also the spiritually-attuned lyrics that caught my attention:
s
“Things haven't been the same
Since you came into my life
You found a way to touch my soul
And I'm never, ever, ever gonna let it go
s
When God truly comes to someone things are never the same again. Mostly he comes, and most noticeably, during times of intense pain and suffering. That’s how he finds a way to ‘touch our souls,’ otherwise we’d have no need of him -- that’s the essence. We don’t need God (apparently) until we do -- even then many resist and continue to reject him. The wise person, having felt that grasp, never lets go of the loving hand of God in Christ. Jesus is Saviour and Sanctifier.
s
Bridge of the song:
s
“Happiness lies in your own hand
It took me much too long to understand
How it could be
Until you shared your secret with me
s
Happiness indeed lies in our own hands. There’s not a truer statement -- though there are a myriad of statements that are just as true. Even in the depths of misery, suffering, and desolation, we can do a lot about our perception of happiness. In normal life, when we’re not in the midst of suffering, we can discover the truth that happiness does routinely lay within the grasp of our own hands.
s
I know from personal experience, it took much too long for me to understand the grace and power of God; it proved to be not my time. It was at my depths that God truly shared his secret with me, and only then was I able to ‘see the light’ so to speak. I praise God that, in almost the worst despair I could imagine, I found the soul-love I’d always sought but sadly didn’t know how to get. Suddenly I my eyes were opened to all sorts of injustices, and not just in my own life -- significantly in others’ lives too.
s
The song continues:
s
“You gave me back the paradise
That I thought I lost for good
You helped me find the reasons why
It took me by surprise that you understood
You knew all along
What I never wanted to say
Until I learned to love myself
I was never ever lovin’ anybody else
s
Most of us are surprised to discover that God truly does understand us -- humanity; and when we finally perceive this truth, we’re shocked at our own insolence. How could we, a creation of the Almighty, begin to even think that he doesn’t care? Yet, he saves us not from many pains and trials. We learn and grow in the midst of them. Is that not love? Does this not bring us to maturity?
s
He knew all along alright -- and so we see his patience; right from the depths of time in memoriam -- way back to the Dawn. It’s only when we know God that we can truly begin to know ourselves -- it’s only when we truly desire to know and accept ourselves that we can begin to love the self. Without self-love how can we genuinely love others? Without self-love how could we be free to live for others, serving them?
s
Finally, the chorus (below) reminds me of someone having a salvation revelation experience.
s
“Something's comin' over me
My baby's got a secret”
s
I remember bathing in the Presence, being baptised in the Spirit, for the very first time. Something came over me alright -- it was the breath of God showing me his love and grace -- as a deeply physiologically-felt force took my body and shook it, bringing me to tears of praise and thankfulness for some several minutes. I was one giant goose bump.
s
Yes, I have to admit to being inspired to say; even Madonna can preach the gospel! Her gospel message is as clear and as plain as the prophets; happiness lies in our own hands if we just receive Christ in the humility of surrender... “Seek first the kingdom of heaven...”
s
Copyright © 2008, S.J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
s
[1] Video footage from the live “Drowned World Tour” concert recorded in Detroit, Michigan in 2001.

No comments: