Monday, July 21, 2008

“I Love You, Lord” by Laurie Klein – Tribute and Critique

Do you ever sing and analyse the meaning of the words that are uttered under your best singing voice? I do. Recently I did this whilst singing “I love You, Lord” at church and found cause for complaint regarding the theology of the song... now it’s true I concede, most worship songs falter somewhat on theology.
s
What I then did was invest some time in coming to know the origins of this song and found some empathy in my heart for Laurie Klein, who at that time in 1974, was living in poverty with her husband and a toddler whilst he studied full-time in College. Initially I was negative about the song, theologically, on about three points; it’s amazing how concessions are made in our hearts when we learn of the difficulties people have. That’s compassion I guess.
s
I learned that this song was written on Laurie’s heart as she sung it; perhaps on one of the darkest and most depressing mornings she’d known. She needed God at this point, really needed him. The first half of the song came straight away.
s
I love You Lord
and I lift my voice
To worship You
O my soul, rejoice!
s
She stopped long enough to get a pen to record the words for the second stanza.
s
Take joy, my King
in what you hear
May it be a sweet, sweet sound
in Your ear.
s
The song’s been very successful having been recorded 60 to 70 times since Jack Hayford first used it. I sometimes find that Christian worship songs are worded in ways that portray us as perfect disciples and that troubles me. “I exalt you,” I have problems with. Merriam-Webster has it as follows: Exalt:
s
1: to raise in rank, power, or character
2: to elevate by praise or in estimation: GLORIFY
3 obsolete: ELATE
4: to raise high: ELATE
5: to enhance the activity of: INTENSIFY [1]
s
God lifts us, do we lift him? Perhaps we give him a place in our hearts. Is that lifting him up? I think he’s up in any event. ‘To raise in rank, power or character.’ That is theologically flawed I think. About the only thing we can do is exalt him in our hearts; not exalt him, period. By bearing him a place we lift him personally above the cares of the world. And perhaps this is what Laurie Klein meant.
s
‘Take joy my king,’ and so on, for me, asks the King to find joy in our praise. Yet he takes joy only when there’s a desire in our hearts to truly be one with him, in thought and purpose. He takes no joy in the sacrifice of our worship, only in its sincereness. We can add nothing to him but our devotedness.
s
I guess what I learned overall though is this song has captured the heart of millions of Christian worshippers around the world over the past thirty plus years, and perhaps God has blessed the perfectness of intention that Laurie Klein gave to it.
s
Copyright © 2008, Steven J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
s
[1] See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exalt.

No comments: