Saturday, December 21, 2019

The good news, when next year won’t be easier, but harder

I asked a friend after a recent graduation event, “How has your year been?” Having just finished medical school in the past two years, and having gone into general practice, she looked at me intently and squarely and just said, “I’m sure the years just get harder, don’t they?” She didn’t say this in any sense of being defeated. She’s one of the most capable and resilient people I know.
But it got me thinking. I know 2016 was my worst year thus far, but this year has been just as tough, just fuller within the calling on my life. Even if I was used to capacity for God’s purposes (and I was, and I’m thankful) it was an incredibly tough year, professionally and personally.
Tuck this away, because mark my words, next year won’t be easier. If you’re like me and you’ve limped bruised and wounded to the finish line of this year, don’t expect next year to be easier; it won’t be.
But the good news is this. If we take the meme above as our reference point we’re already defeated, because we’re begging for mercy before the year’s even begun. It would be better to expect next year to be harder if anything. This would motivate us to get our prayer lives in order, to plan better and ahead for our self-care, to reinforce boundaries, and to make time for the important things. It will inspire us to make change where change is needed.
It will certainly be true that we may have wept many silent tears. Perhaps instead of praying that there would be fewer tears, we could pray that we have a richer sense for the Presence of God when we weep. And the very nature of tears is we do wipe our own. Where we receive too much human support, we limit how much God might meet us in our lament; though we do need support as well.
I certainly don’t decry the need people have to lament an incredibly tough year. We can all be forgiven for thinking we can’t go on if life continues as it’s been. But, growth and inspiration for change comes out of severe challenge more so than through ease.
Let’s not forget the words of Jesus, “You will have trouble in this world; but take heart, I have overcome it for you.” — John 16:33
Here’s another more contemporary motivation:
“Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break. And all things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.” — L.R. Knost

No comments: