Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Body and its Scars

A contemplative moment
brings presence to be
I look over my body
and what do I see.
I considered the scar
that last year I sustained
but then I was drawn
to one my childhood contained.
Deeper knowledge came flooding in
at the level of my soul
and suddenly my soul’s awakened
unravelling me from whole.
There I ponder “ME”
apart from my earthly design
there I was before God
alone, there was me, just mine!
Standing there as if naked
before all of heaven’s acclaim
there as if I could see it all
and most to be seen was my pain.
These scars I bear, as I dare
were worth this burrowing within
for there they were, so easy to be seen
so God could show me the purpose of my sin.
See, far from the gaze of our judgemental way
is the Lord’s encountering touch
sin’s not meant to condemn
but to show us we’re trying too much.
The scars on my body
however ugly they may be
just help me to enter my soul
in order simply to see.
These bodily remembrances of past
that remind me of untenable regret
are left there on my body
in order that I may not forget.
Deeper still, the metaphor’s known
as body makes way for soul
there I find myself reflect
considering my scars and their role.
However real in my body
my scars make me to feel
the truth as it stands is sound
my scars cause me to heal.
Who would have thought my scars
would come to be the very foundation
upon which to enter the courts of God
and discover this true God of creation?

No comments: