Sunday, March 2, 2008

Present musings... "On Mondayitis"

Another month is here, and we're into Day 2 already. How time goes.
s
Life is a topsy-turvy affair. I'm reminded of a book-CD set that I was once given by a very good friend. It's called The Interview With God. There's a screen-saver in it that states poignantly the paradoxes of life... I'll try to dig it out and write about it some time as it's fascinating how unhappy we get most of the time, yet we have it all. After all we are alive, aren't we?
s
Time is something I could do with more of. I was only reflecting (okay, it was more of a lamenting...) with my manager on Friday during my Employee Development System planning session about my workload. He gently reminded me that everyone's in the same busy boat. It was just what I needed to hear.
s
I struggled for a few moments thinking 'he's not empathetic at all,' yet what I heard God whisper was salient... get on with it... you really are in a privileged position... great job, top people to work with, great environment, opportunities to make a difference, flexibility... I can't ask for much more to be honest. It's the reality I love.
s
I confessed with my manager that I hadn't had "Mondayitis" in fifteen years--he was quite envious, and said I should "bottle" what I had and find a way of selling it... Mmmm...
s
Truth is there was one period, no two, when I found it a real struggle to want to go to work. The first was when I'd just returned to Perth in June 1996. I had to go back on the tools, and it was wet and cold and the work environment was "dingy" to say the least. The second time was after the separation... it wasn't the work I couldn't stand... it was the grieving; the work in front of me came a distant second... I simply couldn't focus. It wasn't like I didn't want to; I just couldn't.
s
I sometimes struggle to get to sleep because I can't wait to awaken in the morning. To have time alone, to muse, reflect and plan, to write, to mix thoughts with God. It's shalom.
s
Weekends are only very mildly more exciting than weekdays for me, as one day merges into the next. Each day is special and new, and brings new surprises and opportunities!

No comments: