Friday, August 9, 2019

A prayer of thanks for the presence of peace in spiritual warfare

My God
You have heard my cry for mercy. You’ve stayed the slayer and you’ve doomed the leviathan. You took what wasn’t mine to take and you gave it over to the plight of angels who alone can deal with interminable misery. Bearing your power, they take joy in contending for those of us who would be and have been utterly forlorn.
That peace you gave, redeeming me from the grave, because you alone can save.
Thank you. For the ministry of your Spirit, for the wings that shelter me, whether I sense your protection or not, and for the clothing you provide me in weathering the storm of intercession, thank you. Your grace is sufficient even when it doesn’t seem enough. What an eternal paradox!
You have reminded me, through the presence of a companion, that you have a way, you have a time, you have a purpose, and that trust is what is needed. You have shown me the gravitas of my fear. You have taken my dread and you have dealt with it. You showed me my hatred-for-self and you granted me a higher perspective. You gave me reason enough to see what I needed to take heed of. You blessed me with a comprehension that mistakes nothing of your immediate purpose, and surety of faith is now mine. For such a time as this.
Give me the sustaining wisdom of one who would sure-up your holy work deep in my spiritual fissures and furrows. Make me soft-hearted for my hard-heartedness of self. Make me soft-hearted and determined-of-mind whenever I deal with people, for I’m not the only one easily maimed.
Sprinkle me with the baptism of joy, a hope that sustains me, a love for your cherished ones in my life, and a peace that far exceeds my wildest hopes.
Most of all, as I wrestle with any present or future attack, as I beat myself up, as I take on too much, as I say yes once too often, as I betray myself as you never give me ascent to do, help me experience your soothing touch, heal me by your covering Word, and, as you brace me even in the midst of sorrow, give me the ascent I dearly need.
In Jesus saving name
AMEN.

No comments: