Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The man who treated me like I was Jesus

It was the shortest of interactions. Really possibly in reality a very insignificant event. Hardly worth noting. Except how this man made me feel. How he cherished my presence as if I were some really special, even regal, person. Yet there was nothing ingratiating about him, nothing sinister, sly or sleazy. I felt blessed to be in his presence, yet I didn’t know why. I just had that intuitiveness about him. He didn’t say many words. I didn’t say many words to him. But we did work together for a few short moments. And in those moments, I saw someone work like I’d never seen someone work before or since.
In the matter of a moment, just in being with him,
he gave me the example of how I could love my work.
He effused virtue, though I’m sure he wasn’t perfect. But he was perfect by the sheer virtue that he reeked the humility of owning the truth of his humanity. He showed no pleasure for things that ought to have pleased him. It’s as if he saw with the eyes of others.
That’s it. He hardly said anything because he hardly needed to. He wasn’t dependent on me, yet with every breath he was there, he was there for me. He helped me in the most intuitive ways. This man spoke to me like I was Jesus, yet because of the way he treated me he was like Jesus himself. A totally captivating presence.
~
This man who treated me like I was Jesus, because he revered me in my vulnerability, acted just like I imagine Jesus acted, and to me was just like Jesus. He showed me how Jesus wants me to behave through the example of Jesus himself. His example was so compelling, he literally switched something on inside of me. I haven’t always lived up to this man’s example, and yet I have to acknowledge this man wasn’t Jesus himself. But there is an enduring legacy in the interactive experience I had with this exemplar of the Saviour. He showed me Jesus’ power of repentance in a common, fallen human being.
The man showed me what a Christian is; to actually put Jesus on in the morning and wear him all day long. He was, of course, the proverbial good Samaritan. And he showed me, even to those who despise us, we can be a blessing.
This man’s example is an enduring one. Not only his countenance, but the joy with which he worked and moved and had his being. It was like he was just impenetrably gifted with an eternal portion of gratitude.
This fleeting interaction had the touch of God’s Spirit about it. God literally touched my spirit through my being immersed in this transitory experience.
A few moments, and from what I saw, I just knew I desperately wanted more. And ever since I’ve never been able to let go of such an experience. Now I know it’s my job to be like this man was to me to others. One experience like this and we never return to the sewer of our selfish lives for long.
~
Imagine the witness our churches would be to the world if leaders laid down their lives for those in their care. Called by God, as shepherds after The Great Shepherd, we live the death of Jesus for the wounded so the wounded may find the life of Jesus in us. There, in that, is Jesus!
In the matter of a moment, just in being with this man, he gave me the example of how I could live a life of love like he was. Imagine bearing witness to the change God has made in a person where, through their witness, God begins to change us.

No comments: