Wednesday, March 20, 2019

How do we argue lovingly without slipping into hate?

I’ve had several goes at this… let’s try this again, this time in the context of a quote by Miriam Veiszadah: “If you play a role in giving a platform to hate, you are complicit.”
Miriam is quoted by lefties — right, left and centre. By the way, I’m more left than right in many of my views. But we have a bigger problem, if we’re indeed Christian?
We’re going headlong into a time of violence by attitude — “out of the abundance of the heart,” which was being referred to as a bad thing, Jesus said, “the mouth speaks.”[1]
If what we see is mockery, scorn and derision,
we know that the heart beneath it is cold and hard.
God cares for all creation, for every single human being, and must detest it when both sides sling their vitriol at each other, as if words weren’t violent. They are! You cannot say that, “sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” If that were so there would be a lot less trauma in the world, for there are far more varieties of abuse than those that do physical harm alone. And all abuse is violent.
Anyone who is venturing into mockery and selective reporting and politicking, among other forms of influence, aimed at wresting power for one side of the argument to the detriment of another is doing violence, because they’re not loving their neighbour.
Doesn’t God have an awesome sense of humour in creating neighbours who we find it easy to despise? The point is, love is not easy. It isn’t just one view. If we romanticise love then we have missed the point, even as we pretend to have worked God out. God is inscrutable.
You cannot love your neighbour and poke fun at them at their expense at the same time.
Do I have a solution? No, not really. But I do want to call self-righteousness from loud and large voices, though; people who won’t necessarily read this. Yes, self-righteousness from both/all sides when they’re right in their own eye amid such complex ethical problems.
Complex problems are never solved by one voice. Enigmatic dilemmas can only be resolved when a range of voices come together. Can you imagine that happening in our highly fractured, instant media, viral world? And while I’m there, perhaps just reflect a little before you share your left- or right-wing propaganda — you’ve been spun, and you’re spinning others in your sharing.
We need a broader discussion without throwing verbal grenades at each other. But that is only possible when we recognise the hurt and the hate in our own hearts. Yes, you and me. It’s there.
We must stop pandering to our own biases and recognise we don’t have the market cornered on wisdom.
I just find it so ironic that many people who decry hate in the world do so in hateful ways.
And yet, I say it again: I do not know how to solve this and I’m not actually that smart in this arena. Just wanted to make my point.
And finally, to those who I rile up or upset with this article, all I hope for is that it might cause you to just be still for a moment and reflect. In 560 words I cannot possibly have covered it all.


[1] Matthew 12:34 (NRSV)

Photo by Morgan Basham on Unsplash

No comments: