Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ros, Jacob, A Tax File Number, and A Lesson In Patience

Let me tell you a story about Ros and Jacob, a Tax File Number, and a lesson in patience, but firstly I want to highlight it’s very important to enjoy life and make the most of each and every day -- we don’t know when all our opportunities will be finally gone.
s
This story starts with me suddenly finding myself needing to get my daughter a tax file number; that or wouldn’t be paid. ‘Okay,’ I thought to myself, ‘This should be fun!’ I’m one who’s had some significant experience in administering systems over the years, but it’s just not my passion anymore. My present lack of administrative organisation around the home meant I was decidedly floundering looking for the right forms of identification. ‘One “A” and two “B’s” I said to myself...’ Thinking I’d secured the right documents -- and more than enough of them -- I proceeded to make an appointment at the Australian Taxation Office, 30-kilometres or so from work. When I talked to Sue at the ATO to make the appointment she gained verification of what documents I had. Both Sue and I were both under the impression I had the right documents.
s
‘Easy,” I thought, ‘I’ll take the train and read.’ Great plan so far! It was going to be a pleasant break from work. I love travelling on public transport as I can observe people in a fascinating environment. I was in my element. I left with plenty of time to get there, and arrived about fifteen minutes early. When I was called I came face-to-face with Ros, an unassuming, emotionless woman in her mid-40’s, with ‘big’ hair and southern European complexion. She sat there at ‘Desk B.’ As I clamoured for my documents, I had an ugly feeling all of a sudden. What was about to hit me, I had no preparation for.
s
Now bureaucracy and frustration are two words that fit neatly into the same sentence. I was sitting right in the centre of bureaucracy; Bureaucracy Central. (Bureaucracy for good reason I might add!) There’s a sort of awe I feel in these ‘hallowed’ places of power, where the slightest incursion to the unsuspecting has the potential effect of destroying one’s day.
s
Back to the moment: suddenly I was being told I didn’t have the necessary bank account information or ability to verify my daughter’s residential address. Ros was steadfast! As I remonstrated in the most respectful manner I could muster she remained calm and steadily but firmly told me that she wasn’t going to risk her job to help me out.
s
The secondary emotion of anger that I experienced at that moment hid the concisely painful yearning deep within me to do well for my daughter. It was also the sheer frustration of knowing yet again I’d have to do this all over again some time real soon! -- take two hours off work -- big inconvenience.
s
Enter Jacob. I noticed Jacob, a gregarious security man for the John Holland Roe Street construction site, on the way to the Taxation Office. I was buoyant on the way there and acknowledged him. On the return trip however I was in no mood for his playful antics. I tried to keep a distance. But his behaviour caught my attention as a continued to berate myself. Having passed him successfully I boarded the train back to Fremantle having not the spoils of victory!
s
I wanted to scream I was so frustrated. Only a few hours beforehand I’d promised myself, ‘I do not complain.’ On Day 29 of a fresh journey all was working out well -- now this test. Now I was seriously contemplating if that were even possible -- to never complain. ‘Of course it is possible,’ I said to myself -- it’s a choice. But as I sat there on the train, I knowingly distanced myself from God in my continuing disobedience, hurting away in the confusion of estrangement from him. I vented with others (Ros and my wife) and not with him -- I cut him out of the picture. Long ago I learned the value of prayers of lament. When I cut him out and vent with others, it’s others I potentially hurt, not to mention myself.
s
Then there’s the regret. Regret at being visibly upset in front of the ATO representative, Ros, and not having the wisdom of prudence to contain it. I could have, and should have, prepared my mind for disappointment, for failure. It is likely, that a person like me, who takes little pleasure in playing the bureaucratic game, will, at times, get it wrong playing the game. And that’s all it is. It’s not even that important.
s
I understand the reasons for the bureaucracy relating to tax file numbers. It’s a very legalistic system for very good reasons. I am learning that life is struggle and for parents of growing children it gets gradually more and more difficult.
s
“Do what is right,” says the LORD. This is the word I got recurrently during this time.
s
As things went against me with Ros, I was surprised how suddenly I compromised and exaggerated the truth in the hope of getting what I wanted -- this only added to the torment of my predicament. I leveraged off coming from ‘far away’ and what an impost it was to get there etc.
s
Two days later it was all settled. I had further interludes with both Ros and Jacob and all ended well, even philosophically. I related parts of the story with both Ros and Jacob and they just smiled. The second time around I even attacked the issue prepared to not have the right paperwork; it was no hassle now. I was mentally prepared. I was even prepared to be turned back unsuccessful -- I was not going to fall again for what I did on the first day.
s
One thing I learned a long time ago, in my trade days, was when things get tight and frustrating, to continue pushing is like fighting God -- totally futile. How often I would do my banana when something I was building or pulling apart wouldn’t go together or come apart, then in a moment of insight I’d grab a coffee and cool down for 10 or 15 minutes. This would invariably lead to a changed, more empowered perspective and things would go well thereafter.
s
And so it is with life. We do no one any good at all when we lose our cruets. We’re always best served by maintaining our emotional self-control and staying adult. Remaining patient even when we feel we have due reason to become impatient is a very wise act.
s
Copyright © 2008, S.J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

No comments: