Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Virtuous Life

WE MAKE the choice early in life to either head the good way or the not so good way. We choose a way and then behave in ways more or less consistently with our modus operandi. Is it really that simple though? Do we really choose a life of virtue, or a life of vice? Is it really that clear-cut?

The goal is to identify the makings of this ‘virtuous life’, and the things that contribute towards the attainment of a virtuous character.

It seems to have been my goal for as long as I can remember to seek the virtues and a character that reflects the virtuous life. I’ve always wanted to be seen as responsible, trustworthy, courageous, among other things. Yet, there’ve been times when I missed the mark so much that I’ve literally floundered in my seeking of these things.

I feel like I’m almost unique in my quest for wisdom and virtue. I feel no-one else I know spends the amount of time I do on trying to ‘get wise’. (I am sure there are others.) Why is there such an in-built or innate drive to acquire these virtues?

Even more frustrating in this ‘quest’ is this issue of ‘missing the mark’—namely, Hebrew meaning for the word “sin” i.e. hattah. Why is it that someone who tries so hard to become wise and virtuous struggles so hard with the seemingly easy and obvious things that bring one down?

Take eating for example. I am told, certainly in the Scriptures, if not through Dr. Phil or Weight-Watchers or from a myriad of other sources, that over-eating is not only not wise, but it is sin in the form of gluttony. I tend to be an over-eater and do it in little binges. I can do it with healthy food, but invariably it’s with the unhealthy, ‘very tasty’ variety of (BONUS) food I do it with. And, have you ever noticed how these foods usually don’t satisfy? I mean I just go back for more and more and more. Can you do that with salad? I suggest not. Eat it slowly, then you're done. The irony is you can eat as much salad as you want and you just get healthier!

So where’s the answer from the virtuous life that counteracts the urges and desires of over-eating? Even though I know the theory that comfort-eating is a symptom of a larger, deeper problem, it brings me no closer to the solution.

Where’s the magic bullet, or ‘the secret’ to help heal me of this disorder, and more appropriately, heal me painlessly?

Was life really designed to be so hard? Why can’t it be easier? Why does it mean that because I want to do something easy, or perhaps, I want to not do something hard, all of a sudden I feel the ‘guilts’ and feel that voice within calling me a failure, when I succumb to the pressure of doing something lazy or not doing something that would require diligence?

Where is this magic bullet?

For some people within this world of ours, spirituality is the way to it. Some others are destined to always rely (often successfully!) on their self-discipline (and, some are ‘stronger’ than others), while others again are perennially weak and never really try at all!

What makes some successful and others not? Is it really as easy as some ‘getting it’ whilst others simply not? (If it were so easy, it could be suggested that not as many would grapple with the reality that sees many miss the mark.)

If it is a magic bullet it sounds lethal. Is it simply something cool sounding to use the phraseology of ‘magic bullet’? Bullets are quick and can’t even be seen by the naked eye—do we want our fixes and wisdom correctives to be that quick? We’d also want them to be painless, right? Quick and painless... okay, it sounds good.

Yet, (...and there’s always more ‘yets’) those of us who have any idea will know that wisdom and the life of virtue is a lifelong quest, a pastime, a venture requiring our diligent and steadfast focus each day. Doesn’t sound like a quick-fix to me!

Why do some just seem to have it; wisdom? Why do some others (like me) seem to struggle for years, in fact all their lives? There are so many questions and so many things to ask, it is wearying. (Edit.--do some just seem to have it without having to work for it; I suggest not.)

I need a simple approach—I need to keep it simple. More and more these days we see ways of dealing with all sorts of things that just seem to complicate what was always designed to be just plain simple. Yet, we complicated it to make it look good, or to make ourselves look good, or did it for some other “look good” reason.

Who else needs a simple approach to living wisely, virtuously, and simply living well?

Let us revive the idea that the simplest and best goal of human endeavour is to live the virtuous life!
[Originally written on the 25th of September 2007]
[The virtue highlighted here by the way is that of TEMPERANCE... wisdom, courage, humanity, justice, and transcendence are the others according to at least one writer. Christian virtues of faith, hope and love need also to be considered.]

No comments: