Monday, May 24, 2021

In vulnerability - yes, weakness - is beauty and strength and courage


We all, to a person, hate being weak.  We hate being the one people could take advantage of.  We hate it, because, let’s face it, most of the time people have taken advantage of us when we’ve been in positions to be exploited.

But do you know what?!

There’s nothing so beautiful as vulnerability that says, “Look at me, I’m not ashamed to be weak, to show you who I actually am in this chin-quivering moment.  And as you look at me, may you too redeem some of the courage you have in you that I’m showing you is in me right now.”

Do you know why raw vulnerability is beautiful?!

It’s because it reaches out in realness to connect—me with my imperfections, with my mask torn off in shreds on the ground, so you can see me for who I really and actually am.

Vulnerability says, “Come, know me... know me in a safe way, in a way that is good for the both of us... because we all need friends who believe in us... because we all desire to be known and to be believed in and to be vouched for as worthy.”

Vulnerability says, “Come here and be with me, and be real and safe as I’m real and safe.  We no longer need to put on a façade that we’ve got life sorted nor ashamed that we’ve stuffed some things up.” 

It’s beautiful to be weak because we give others permission to be themselves, and by the courage we show in not being fearful by hiding our weakness, we give others courage to be bold about the struggles they have.

That’s real power, right there... power for the mightiest human power there is... for connection... and there’s nothing like connection for making us feel fully human.

The truth is, if we’re real, we all have struggles, doubts, fears, sorrows, frustrations, dreads.  There’s nothing worse for a human being than to feel alone in being human.

Being human with others being human, on the other hand, helps us to face the world, our fears falling away, knowing we can relax where there’s no judgement, only support.

Photo by Elaine Casap on Unsplash

No comments: