Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The thoughtful peacemaker

The media coverage on the recent bushfires that swept through many parts of eastern Australia highlights the challenges for us in this social media age.  The Prime Minster being lambasted on the one hand, and all manner of heroes heralded on the other.
I recall being caught up more than once reading the hashtag haranguing.  Each time I noticed my emotional response rise.  I started to experience grief, sorrow, shock, anger and disappointment—sometimes all at once.
Then, because I’ve been focusing in Hebrews, I felt God nudge me to this:
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.”
— Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)
I hadn’t even finished the first verse, and I saw what God wanted me to see.  Suddenly, I saw what is eternally relevant—all those witnesses in Hebrews 11.  After I meditated on this verse, I dove into the commentaries; the “witnesses” are urging us on, just as fans urge athletes they go to see!
These champions of faith who have run their race urge us on to run well and finish ours in faith.
Throw off everything that hinders
Then the word “since” struck me.  It then occurred to me that the writer to the Hebrews is giving a massive hint on how we are to live by faith.  Because we have so much heavenly support, and because we know what we need to do to be right with God (i.e. live by faith), the writer is imploring us to do what we need to do as a result: “let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
In the context of all manner of issues that sadden us or get us irate, rightly or wrongly, this verse reminded me there was something more important.  “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone,” as the apostle Paul says in Romans 12:18 (NIV)
Getting to the heart of all issues
Again, I had to acknowledge that while my emotional responses may often be right, if there’s anything peacemaking principles teach me, it’s that my heart covets many desires. Not all these honour God. Even the ones that do honour God are often tainted in my demanding my desires be met the way I want them met.
Social media and current affairs often reveal our hearts.  We also have our biases to contend with. And yet here is my favourite Bible prayer of Psalm 139:23-24 (NIV): 
Search me, God, and know my heart;    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Every time I read this prayer, I’m reminded of how quickly my desires become demands.  It reminds me how quickly I judge people and situations when I’m in that mindset.  The redemptive pathway reminds me to be honest about the things I desire.  What I cannot necessarily have, what I cannot control, even if I would demand it, I must genuinely grieve.
The inside job in peacemaking
We can all assume that peacemaking is interpersonal.  But I’ve found even more so it’s intrapersonal as we relate with God in truth.  God works within us so we can be thoughtful peacemakers.


No comments: